Over the years, the smartphone industry has flourished drastically because of which there has been a huge rise in demand for the apps that run on these smartphones. Nowadays, there are numerous mobile apps available online to choose from starting from playing games to listening to music, booking cabs to buying daily used items online, we have applications for all our requirements.
Statistics Related to Mobile App Download and Usage 2019
There is no doubt that the mobile app development industry is thriving at a rapid pace with more than 2.7 billion smartphone users throughout the world. Below mentioned are some of the key stats related to mobile app download and usage in 2019:
• There are around 1.35 tablet users all over the world and it is a number that has doubled over the past six years.
• Studies show that an average American checks their phone every 12 minutes. About 10% of people check their phones once every 4 minutes.
• People now days are so much attached to the phones that they use their phones at home, at work, while eating, on the street, and even in their cars.
• More than 90% of mobile time is spent on apps.
• In the United States, about 96% of the digital time using maps came from smartphones and about 86% of the digital weather content was consumed through smartphone apps.
• By 2020, mobile apps are expected to generate $189 billion in revenue.
• There are more than 2.8 million apps available for download on the Google Play Store.
• The Apple App store alone has about 2.2 million apps available for download.
• The average smartphone owners use 30 apps each month.
• Around 21% of Millennials open an app more than 50 times per day.
• About 49% of people open an app more than 11 times each day.
• Around 57% of all digital media usage comes from mobile apps.
• People throughout the world are using smartphones and tablets to download apps.
• As mobile app usage grows in popularity, the number of app downloads globally increases as well.
• In 2019, there were more than 205 billion app downloads. That’s a 15% increase from the year prior.
• According to the experts, there will be a 25% increase in global app downloads between 2018 and 2022.
• Around 98% of app revenue worldwide comes from free apps. Just a fraction of people is willing to pay for downloads.
• People who download paid apps are more likely to be engaged. They aren’t going to spend money on something and then never use it.
Mobile App Development in Today’s Time
The fastest growing use of mobile apps is encouraging those who own an app or plan on developing an app. However, in order to be successful in this competitive era, app developers need to understand two things, i.e. users must download your app and they should also use your app. In order to compete in this multi-billion dollar industry, the developer needs to have a thorough understanding of exactly how people are downloading and using mobile apps.
The two places where the overwhelming majority of users are downloading apps are- Google Play and the Apple App Store. Android users download apps from the Google Play Store, while Users with iOS devices download apps from the Apple App Store. Though, both the stores have experienced an increase in the percentage of apps downloads from 2017 to 2018, more downloads have been witnessed from Google Play Store worldwide. The Google Play Store downloads grew by 14%, while the Apple App Store had just a 3% growth rate.
According to Statista, some of the key app categories with the highest penetration rate among Android users.
Find more statistics at Statista
Tips To Successfully Run a Startup in the Mobile App Industry
Here are a few important tips for mobile app developers who are looking forward to successfully run a startup in the mobile app industry:
• If you want your app to be successful, you must understand the exact requirements of your consumers. This is especially applicable if you are building a new app.
• An app being revolutionary in terms of the software or concept is not enough. If there is no market for its usage, then as an app developer you are going to struggle to get downloads.
• You must understand what kinds of apps are being downloaded the most. For instance, the most popular category on the Apple App Store is the gaming category. But that doesn’t mean that you launch a gaming app for your business even if it is not related to gaming, just to make your app fall into a more popular category.
• It is important to note that your app category needs to be relevant to the purpose and functions of your app.
• If you don’t pick a category for your app’s primary purpose, it is against the App Store review guidelines and violating these terms can get your app removed from the App Store and no one will be able to download your app.
• Even if your app is not in the top category, it can still be successful. You just need to build a correct strategy by targeting a potential niche category that is less saturated and try to dominate a larger share of a smaller market.
• If your app doesn’t perform well and has glitches, bugs, or UX flaws, users will be more likely to churn. Therefore, make certain to identify those errors and come up with updates and new versions of your app to improve the performance as well as user experience.
Today, mobile apps have emerged as an important part of our daily lives. App usage and smartphone access are still growing at a fastest rate, without any signs of slowing down in the projected future. So it’s obvious that more apps are being sent to the market.
According to Localytics, “71% of app users churn within the first 90 days of downloading an app.” Therefore, it is vital for app developers to track these metrics and give users a reason to keep coming back and use their app down the road. If you have a mobile app or plan to build one, just make sure to keep yourself updated on the latest research and trends in the mobile app industry.